The Modbus™ RTU and Modbus™ TCP/IP interface allows an Advantage control instrument to communicate with a variety of devices including primary processing equipment controls, PLC’s and many more.
Modbus™ can communicate information including:
- Retransmit of setpoint
- Actual temperature
- Deviation alarm
- Sensor failure
- Remote start/stop.
The Modbus™ TCP interface can be configured to any user IP/Subnet. Configuration is achieved using a utility program that runs on WindowsTM based PC’s. Download at http://www.lantronix.com/products/deviceinstaller/.
The Modbus™ RTU and Modbus™ TCP/IP interface is available on these Advantage control Instruments:
- Download the Lantronics Device Installer from the following Internet address: http://www.lantronix.com/products/deviceinstaller/
- Open the Installer and follow the on-screen instructions.
Changing the IP Address
- Configure your Advantage control Instrument as follows:
- Protocol: MODBUS
- Address: 1
- Baud Rate: 9600
- Contact your IT department to obtain a separate, dedicated IP address for each Instrument configured. You will also need to know the correct Subnet mask to use, though this is most always 255.255.255.0
- Connect the device to your computer with a standard Ethernet cable
- Open the Lantronics Device Installer application
- In the Lantronics Device Installer, click Search until your device shows up in the menu on the left
- Select your device from the menu on the left and then click Assign IP
- If you’re prompted for the MAC Address, it can be found under Hardware Address or via the sticker on the back of the module itself
- Select Assign a Specific IP Address and then click Next
- Enter the IP Address you obtained from your IT department and then click Assign
- Wait for configuration to complete and then select Finish
- The device is now configured and is ready to use
Changing the Subnet Mask
- Open the Lantronics Device Installer
- Double-click your device. If a communication error occurs, wait 3 seconds and try again
- Select the Telnet Configuration tab
- Click the Connect button
- Press the Enter key to go into setup mode.
- Press the number 1 key
- Press the Enter key to bypass the IP address
- Press the Enter key to Set Gateway IP Address
- Press the letter Y key to Set Netmask and then input the desired value (255.255.255.128 for example)
- Press the Enter key until the Table of Contents reappears
- Press the letter S to save
- Wait for the module to completely reset before you disconnect
- Wait for two steady green lights. No other lights should be on
- The module is now configured and is ready to use
For more information about configuring Modbus TCP interface to any IP/Subnet via the Lantronx utility call the Advantage Service Department at 317-887-0729.