Paratherm NF Heat Transfer Fluid
- Advantage recommends the use of Paratherm NF heat transfer fluid in hot oil temperature controllers. Paratherm NF can be purchased directly from
the Paratherm Corporations (1-800-222-3611), a local vendor or Advantage. Click here for the Paratherm web site.
- Paratherm NF is a non-toxic heat transfer fluid for use in high temperature applications. It is safe to handle and easy to dispose of.
- Typical Properties
- Product Name: Paratherm NF
- Chemical Name: Hydrotreated Mineral Oil
- Appearance: Water White Liquid
- Feedstock : NF/USP Hydrotreated hydrocarbon base
- Appearance : Transparent, Colorless, Bright
- Taste & Odor : None
- Minimal Optimal Temperature : 120°F (49°C)
- Maximum Recommended Film Temperature : 650°F (343°C)
- Flash Point (coc) ASTM-D-92 : 345°F (174°C)
- Flash Point (pmcc) ASTM-D-93 : 335°F (168°C)
- Fire Point (coc) ASTM-D-92 : 385°F (196°C)
- Auto ignition ASTM-D-2155 : 385°F (196°C)
- Auto ignition ASTM-E659-78 : 690°F (366°C)
- Atmospheric Boiling Point, 10% FractionAuto ignition ASTM D-1160 650°F : 650°F (343°C)
- Vapor Pressure, PSIA @ 600°F : 4.720
- Coefficient of Thermal Expansion** : 0.000304°F (0.000547°C)
- Average Molecular Weight AST D-2502 : 350
- Density, lb/gal @ 75°F (24°C) ASTM D-1298 : 7.25
- Pour Point (Crystal Point) ASTM D-97 : -45°F (-43°C)
- Pumpability: Centrifugal @ 2,000 centipoise : -13°F (-25°C)
- Heat of vaporization (Calculated) : 90.72 BTU/lb
- See Paratherm for electrical and optical properties.
- The above values are typical laboratory values and are not guaranteed for all samples.
- **Note: normal practice is to size the expansion tank so that it is 1/4 to 1/3 full when the system is cold, and 2/3 to 3/4 full when the system is at the maximum normal operating temperature.
- Fluid Fouling
- Unlike conventional heat transfer fluids, Paratherm NF will not cause hard carbon formation on heated surfaces which bakes on to the heated surface, forming a crust which eventually builds up and restricts flow and heat transfer capacity.
- In extreme fouling, heater tubing and electrical elements ca prematurely fail.
- Under similar extreme overheat, Paratherm NF fluid evolves small carbon granules. These granules remain in suspension, and can be filtered out easily.
- Environmental Safety
- Paratherm NF fluid has passed Bioassay to confirm the environmental safety of the fluid.
- In spillage, the Paratherm NF fluid can be treated using the same clean-up procedures employed for light lubricating oils and recycled into other usable materials.
- Paratherm NF fluid contains no aromatics, heavy metals, or compounds of sulfur or nitrogen.
- Fluid Toxicity
- Paratherm NF is completely non-toxic and certified by the FDA and USDA and other agencies for use with food and pharmaceuticals.
- Note: do not breathe vapor mists of any fluid (see MSDS for more information.)
- Vapor Pressure
- Paratherm NF fluid has a vapor pressure below atmosphere at its maximum operating temperature and permits the designer considerable latitude in the choice of lower-cost equipment.
- The low viscosity of Paratherm NF fluid requires less energy to pump and results in lower power consumption and energy savings.
- Water In The System
- Any water allowed to stand in thermal oil systems can cause severe corrosion.
- Because the Paratherm NF fluid is immiscible with water, water in the system can be easily drained from the system's low points.
- Containers should be stored in non-hazardous dry areas.
- Seals should not be broken and liquids should not be allowed to pool on the container to prevent drawing any water into the container via a bad seal.
- Fluid Disposal
- Paratherm NF can be safely combined with used lubricating oils and recycled locally.
- Fluid Analysis
- Periodic analysis of your fluid can allow you to detect overheating, oxidation and contamination issues is the early stages to result in substantial savings of your heat transfer fluid and thermal system.
- Quality Control
- Paratherm NF tests each batch of heat transfer fluid to ensure that product specifications are being met.
- Each shipment is traceable to the master batch, with test results held at the factory.
- Technical Assistance
- Technical expertise is available to you during the panning and design stages, and through system construction, start-up and operation.
- Advantage and Paratherm are pleased to work closely with you in the recommendation of proven systems, components, and procedures.
- We can also advise you on system cleaning and repair should these become necessary.
For more information about Paratherm NF heat transfer fluid call the Advantage Sales Department at 317-887-0729.
Would you like to Download FYI #150 to your browser?
Need Application Assistance?
Our Experienced Team Can Save You Time & Money.
Tell Us About Your Project