The brazed plate evaporator is made of stamped stainless steel plates, furnace brazed together with copper based joints.
- The complex geometry of the flow passages promotes turbulent flow which gives high efficiency and reduces fouling by mineral deposits.
- Large solids (plastic pellets, chunks of mineral deposits etc.) will collect at the water inlet port or the evaporator and restrict flow through some of the passages.
- If this possibility exists, the factory recommends filters or strainers to installed in the from process line.
- If the evaporator becomes fouled there are several methods for cleaning the evaporator.
- If there are mineral deposits adhered to the plates, the evaporator must be backflushed with a mild acid solution (5% phosphoric, or5% oxalic acid is recommended.
Please note : This procedure is not normal maintenance. Maintaining proper water qualitly and filtration will minimize the need to backflush the evaporator.
- Turn off all power to the machine.
- For water chillers with a reservoir tank, drain tank to below the evaporator outlet. For water chillers without a reservoir tank, drain total unit.
- Remove the piping to the water in port at the evaporator, if there are solids at the inlet remove them.
- Connect a water supply hose to the evaporator water outlet.
- If acid cleaning, connect the discharge hose from the acid pump to the evaporator outlet port.
- Connect a hose to the evaporator water supply port and to an appropriate containment vessel.
- If acid cleaning, connect the evaporator water inlet port to an acid solution reservoir tank. Dispose of all backflush water according to local codes.
- Your water supply source should have at least 20 psi available.
- If acid cleaning, follow the instructions supplied with the acid solution carefully.
- After cleaning, rinse with clear water before returning to service.
- Once finished, reinstall all water line to original factory orientation.
- Restart the unit and check for proper operation.
For more information about cleaning and backflushing the brazed plate evaporator call the Advantage Service Department at 317-887-0729.